Tuesday, May 27, 2014

"Crock Pot" BBQ Pork in a Blanket

I would say I got this recipe from Pinterest but the recipe really sucked. It said things like, "Make BBQ pulled pork WITHOUT sauce. Add sauce to the pork." ...why the emphasis on no sauce if we're just going to add it? Also, thanks for the instructions on how to make the pork. At that point, I skimmed over the "recipe" and decided to just wing it.

So the idea for this recipe is from Pinterest.

I call it "Crock Pot" because you cook the meat in the crock pot but you finish the meal in the oven. I'm not a very experienced cook so when I got a "recipe" that didn't tell me how to cook the pork, I went to what I know. I will share the recipe for my version of my mom's tacos later but that's where I got the idea for how to cook the pork.




"Crock Pot" BBQ Pulled Pork in a Blanket

1-2 lb Pork Roast
20 oz Bottle Sprite
1 C Barbecue Sauce
1 Tube Croissant Dough
1/4 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese


Notes on ingredients:
We use that size of roast for the two of us and we always have leftovers, which I eat in sandwiches. You can go bigger or smaller depending on how much you want. We usually get shoulder roast, but again, you can get whatever you want and it will be fine. We've used different kinds and had it turn out the same.
Use your favorite barbecue sauce. I always go for the sweet ones but you would be happiest with your favorite. I also made up the amount, it depends on how much you want.
We get the buttery croissant dough, the one that comes with 8 rolls.
I made up the amount on the cheese too. You just want enough to sprinkle on top, I don't put any on mine.


Put your roast in your crock pot and pour the Sprite over it.
Cook on low for 8-9 hours.
Drain Sprite and shred pork.
Add enough barbecue sauce to cover the pork.
Preheat oven, following your croissant tube instructions.
Spray your pan with non-stick spray.
Drop some pork on the croissant dough and wrap it around the pork. (You should have leftover pork, don't over fill the rolls.)
Sprinkle cheese over the rolls if desired.
Bake according to the croissant instructions.




Not the most genius recipe but it's delicious. It's also not very specific because most of it is up to you. I'm not the most beautiful with my wrapping of the rolls but they work. We serve these with fries or tater tots. 



2 comments:

  1. i am curious...what led you to putting sprite over a roast? i've only heard of colas...i never thought of other sodas...genius for thinking outside of the boxes that i get stuck in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emmitt says that the carbonation helps break down the meat so thought any soda would work and Sprite sounded like a good idea? It made sense at the time and it worked:)

    ReplyDelete